Westfield, Maine is a small town located in Knox County with a population of approximately 1,200 people. It is situated on the western coast of Maine and has a total area of 6.9 square miles. The terrain is mostly flat and has a humid continental climate with cold winters and mild summers. The town was incorporated in 1807 and the settlement was established in 1767 by settlers from Massachusetts. See topbbacolleges for information about Androscoggin County, Maine.
Politically, Westfield is represented by elected officials at the state and federal level, including Senator Angus King for the US Senate, Representative Chellie Pingree for the US House of Representatives, and Senator David Miramant for the Maine Senate.
The economy of Westfield is primarily based on fishing and farming activities as well as tourism due to its proximity to Acadia National Park. There are several small businesses in town that provide goods and services to locals and visitors alike.
Westfield has two schools: an elementary school for grades K-4 and a middle/high school for grades 5-12. Both schools offer excellent educational opportunities with an emphasis on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) disciplines as well as art programs to foster creativity within students.
There are several landmarks in Westfield that are popular among locals and tourists alike such as Fort Point State Park which offers stunning views of Penobscot Bay; Marshall Point Lighthouse which was featured in Forrest Gump; Pemaquid Point Lighthouse which offers panoramic views of Pemaquid Harbor; Fort William Henry which was built by British forces in 1755; as well as several hiking trails throughout the area offering breathtaking views of nature at its finest.
Population: 559. Estimated population in July 2020: 555 (-0.7% change)
Males: 276 (49.4%), Females: 283 (50.6%)
Median resident age: 43.9 years
Median household income: $27,083
Median house value: $55,500
Races in Westfield:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.7%)
- Two or more races (1.8%)
- American Indian (1.6%)
Ancestries: English (31.8%), French (21.3%), Irish (16.3%), Scottish (8.1%), Scotch-Irish (7.0%), German (6.8%).
Elevation: 475 feet
Westfield, Maine is a small town of approximately 2,500 people located in the northern part of the state. It is an idyllic setting with rolling hills and pleasant rural roads. The median household income is just over $50,000, with most residents employed in farming and related occupations. The cost of living in Westfield is slightly below the national average. Housing costs are reasonable, with a median home value of around $128,000. There are also plenty of rental options available for those who prefer not to purchase a home. Utilities tend to be on the lower end of the spectrum as well, making it an affordable place to live for those on a budget. Residents also enjoy many amenities such as access to parks and recreational activities as well as shopping and dining options. There are also many cultural attractions such as museums and galleries that offer educational opportunities for all ages.
For population 25 years and over in Westfield
- High school or higher: 75.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.4%
- Unemployed: 4.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Westfield town
- Never married: 20.0%
- Now married: 61.0%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 6.9%
- Divorced: 10.9%
5.2% Foreign born (4.7% North America, 0.5% Europe).
Hospitals/medical centers near Westfield:
- AROOSTOOK MEDICAL CENTER,THE (about 10 miles; PRESQUE ISLE, ME)
- CARY MEDICAL CENTER (about 23 miles; CARIBOU, ME)
- HOULTON REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 31 miles; HOULTON, ME)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Westfield:
- NORTHERN MAINE REGIONAL ARPT AT PRESQUE IS (about 11 miles; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Abbreviation: PQI)
- BANGOR INTL (about 137 miles; BANGOR, ME; Abbreviation: BGR)
- BRUNSWICK NAS (about 232 miles; BRUNSWICK, ME; Abbreviation: NHZ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Westfield:
- NORTHERN MAINE REGIONAL (about 13 miles; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Abbreviation: 83B)
- CARIBOU MUNI (about 22 miles; CARIBOU, ME; Abbreviation: CAR)
- HOULTON INTL (about 33 miles; HOULTON, ME; Abbreviation: HUL)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Westfield:
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE (about 119 miles; ORONO, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,590)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT AUGUSTA (about 199 miles; AUGUSTA, ME; Full-time enrollment: 3,172)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT FARMINGTON (about 201 miles; FARMINGTON, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,229)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE (about 258 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Full-time enrollment: 7,381)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE (about 266 miles; STANDISH, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,376)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND-UNIVERSITY CAMPUS (about 276 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,251)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 317 miles; DURHAM, NH; Full-time enrollment: 12,586)