According to top-medical-schools, Wachapreague, Virginia is a small city located on the Eastern Shore of Virginia in Accomack County. It is situated on the Atlantic Coast, just north of Chincoteague Bay and south of the Chesapeake Bay. The city has a population of approximately 1,000 residents and covers an area of 1.4 square miles. The climate in Wachapreague is humid subtropical, with mild winters and hot summers.
The history of Wachapreague dates back to 1645 when it was first settled by English colonists. Since then, the city has seen a variety of industries come and go including fishing, oystering, lumbering, boat building, and canning. In recent years Wachapreague has become a popular tourist destination due to its unique history and beautiful beaches.
Politics in Wachapreague is considered conservative with strong ties to the Republican Party. The city’s economy is largely based on tourism with many restaurants and shops catering to visitors from around the world who come to experience its unique charm and culture.
Wachapreague is served by two public schools; Kiptopeke Elementary School which serves grades K-5 and Nandua Middle School which serves grades 6-8. For high school students there are several options including Arcadia High School in nearby Nassawadox or Eastern Shore Community College in Melfa which offers students an opportunity to earn an Associate’s degree before transferring to a four year college or university.
When it comes to landmarks there are many places that make Wachapreague unique from other towns on the Eastern Shore including its historic downtown area which features several buildings from the 19th century as well as the iconic red lighthouse at Kiptopeke State Park which serves as a reminder of times gone by when ships sailed up Chincoteague Bay for fresh supplies or repairs. There are also several parks throughout town such as Kiwanis Park where locals can enjoy outdoor activities like fishing or walking trails through lush marshlands teeming with wildlife such as birds and crabs!
Population: 236. Estimated population in July 2020: 234 (-0.8% change)
Males: 110 (46.6%), Females: 126 (53.4%)
Zip code: 23480
Median resident age: 55.6 years
Median household income: $36,625
Median house value: $79,300
Races in Wachapreague:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.2%)
- Black (2.5%)
- Two or more races (2.1%)
- Hispanic (1.7%)
- Other race (1.7%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
Ancestries: English (24.2%), United States (11.0%), German (7.2%), Irish (6.4%), Scottish (6.4%), Italian (4.2%).
Elevation: 10 feet
Land area: 0.3 square miles
Wachapreague is a small town located in the Eastern Shore of Virginia with a population of approximately 500 people. It is a rural area with a large portion of the population employed in the fishing industry. The majority of the population is comprised of white non-Hispanic individuals, although there are also small numbers of African American and Hispanic populations. The median household income for Wachapreague is around $40,000. The town has a variety of shops and restaurants, as well as some public parks and recreational activities available to visitors. Residents enjoy access to quality healthcare, educational opportunities, and recreational activities such as swimming, boating, fishing, and hunting. Wachapreague’s public schools are highly rated with an average student-teacher ratio of 12:1. There is also a library which provides free access to books and other media for residents. In addition to these amenities, Wachapreague also offers an array of cultural events such as festivals and art shows throughout the year. All in all, Wachapreague is a thriving community that values its residents’ safety and well-being above all else.
For population 25 years and over in Wachapreague
- High school or higher: 87.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 24.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.6%
- Unemployed: 2.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wachapreague town
- Never married: 15.0%
- Now married: 55.9%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 7.7%
- Divorced: 18.6%
3.0% Foreign born (1.7% Asia, 1.3% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: -55 (-18.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Wachapreague:
- SHORE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; NASSAWADOX, VA)
- EDWARD MCCREADY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 29 miles; CRISFIELD, MD)
- RAPPAHANNOCK GENL HOSP (about 47 miles; KILMARNOCK, VA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wachapreague:
- SALISBURY-OCEAN CITY WICOMICO REGIONAL (about 52 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Abbreviation: SBY)
- LANGLEY AFB (about 59 miles; HAMPTON, VA; Abbreviation: LFI)
- OCEANA NAS /APOLLO SOUCEK FIELD/ (about 60 miles; VIRGINIA BEACH, VA; Abbreviation: NTU)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wachapreague:
- ACCOMACK COUNTY (about 5 miles; MELFA, VA; Abbreviation: MFV)
- TANGIER ISLAND (about 25 miles; TANGIER, VA; Abbreviation: TGI)
- CRISFIELD MUNI (about 30 miles; CRISFIELD, MD; Abbreviation: W41)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wachapreague:
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-EASTERN SHORE (about 42 miles; PRINCESS ANNE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,940)
- SALISBURY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 53 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Full-time enrollment: 5,645)
- OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY (about 60 miles; NORFOLK, VA; Full-time enrollment: 13,330)
- HAMPTON UNIVERSITY (about 61 miles; HAMPTON, VA; Full-time enrollment: 5,249)
- ECPI COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 62 miles; VIRGINIA BEACH, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,083)
- THOMAS NELSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 63 miles; Hampton, VA; Full-time enrollment: 3,884)
- NORFOLK STATE UNIVERSITY (about 66 miles; NORFOLK, VA; Full-time enrollment: 5,820)