Friendship, Maryland is a small town located on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay in Calvert County. With a population of just over 1,000 people, Friendship is one of the smallest towns in Maryland. Geographically, Friendship is situated among rolling hills and woodlands with the Patuxent River to the south and the Bay to the east. The climate in Friendship is mild but humid due to its location on the coast. Summers are warm with temperatures reaching into the 90s while winters are usually cool but rarely severe. See harvardshoes for main cities in Maryland.
The history of Friendship dates back to colonial times when it was first established as a fishing village. Over time, however, it grew into an agricultural community that specialized in dairy farming and fruit production. In recent years, however, many residents have transitioned away from agriculture and now work in nearby cities such as Washington D.C., Baltimore and Annapolis.
Politically, Friendship is part of Calvert County which is represented by Democrats at all levels of government including local representatives in Annapolis and Congressmen from both Maryland’s 4th Congressional District and 8th Congressional District.
The economy of Friendship relies heavily on tourism with many visitors coming to take advantage of fishing opportunities along the Bay or visit local historical sites such as Flag Ponds Nature Park or Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum. There are also several small businesses located in town that provide goods and services for locals as well as tourists.
Friendship Elementary School serves students from kindergarten through eighth grade while high school students attend Northern High School located just outside town limits. Both schools offer a variety of extracurricular activities such as sports teams, clubs and after-school programs to keep students engaged outside of class-time hours.
Finally, there are several notable landmarks located within Friendship’s boundaries including Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum which commemorates a bygone era of rail travel; Flag Ponds Nature Park which offers wildlife viewing opportunities; Chesapeake Beach Water Park which provides family-friendly fun; and Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum which preserves artifacts from Maryland’s colonial past.
Males: 1,801 (39.9%), Females: 2,711 (60.1%)
Zip code: 20815
Median resident age: 51.3 years
Median household income: $61,532
Median house value: $88,300
Races in Friendship Village:
- White Non-Hispanic (77.1%)
- Hispanic (8.0%)
- Black (4.5%)
- Two or more races (2.4%)
- Chinese (2.1%)
- Asian Indian (2.0%)
- Japanese (1.4%)
- Other Asian (1.0%)
- Other race (1.0%)
- Filipino (0.9%)
- Korean (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (10.4%), Irish (9.6%), English (7.1%), Italian (5.8%), Russian (5.6%), Arab (4.7%).
Land area: 0.1 square miles
Friendship, Maryland is a small town located in the southeastern corner of the state. With a population of around 1,500 people, it is one of the smallest towns in Maryland. It is known for its great outdoor activities and its friendly atmosphere. The average home price in Friendship is $219,000, making it one of the more affordable places to live in Maryland. The cost of living is also relatively low with groceries averaging about 10% less than the national average. Renters can expect to pay around $1,100 per month for a two-bedroom apartment and utilities are typically around 10% lower than the national average. Despite its small size, Friendship offers plenty of amenities including grocery stores, restaurants, banks and parks. The town also boasts several attractions such as a local museum and art gallery as well as a historic theater that hosts plays and concerts throughout the year. With its convenient location near major cities like Baltimore and Washington D.C., Friendship provides residents with easy access to both urban amenities and natural beauty.
For population 25 years and over in Friendship Village
- High school or higher: 95.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 73.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 44.9%
- Unemployed: 1.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Friendship Village CDP
- Never married: 31.3%
- Now married: 43.2%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 10.8%
- Divorced: 12.4%
36.5% Foreign born (14.3% Asia, 10.6% Europe, 6.5% Latin America, 4.6% Africa).
Hospitals/medical centers near Friendship Village:
- SIBLEY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 2 miles; WASHINGTON, DC)
- SUBURBAN HOSPITAL ASSOCIATION (about 3 miles; BETHESDA, MD)
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; WASHINGTON, DC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Friendship Village:
- RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL (about 9 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Abbreviation: DCA)
- ANDREWS AFB (about 20 miles; CAMP SPRINGS, MD; Abbreviation: ADW)
- WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL (about 25 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Abbreviation: IAD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Friendship Village:
- SOUTH CAPITOL STREET (about 10 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Abbreviation: 09W)
- COLLEGE PARK (about 13 miles; COLLEGE PARK, MD; Abbreviation: CGS)
- MONTGOMERY COUNTY AIRPARK (about 15 miles; GAITHERSBURG, MD; Abbreviation: GAI)
Amtrak stations near Friendship Village:
- 8 miles: WASHINGTON (50 MASSACHUSETTS AVE. N.E.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities and snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, car rental agency, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 10 miles: ROCKVILLE (HUNGERFORD DR. & PARK ST.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, public payphones, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 11 miles: ALEXANDRIA (110 CALLAHAN DR.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Friendship Village:
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY (about 2 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 8,859)
- UNIVERSITY OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (about 3 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 3,223)
- MARYMOUNT UNIVERSITY (about 5 miles; ARLINGTON, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,479)
- GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 16,045)
- CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY OF AMERICA (about 7 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 4,472)
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 11,674)
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 9,297)