According to topschoolsintheusa, Charles Town, West Virginia is located in the Eastern Panhandle of the state, just over an hour west of Washington D.C. The city is situated in the Appalachian Mountains and enjoys mild temperatures year-round. Summers are usually quite warm, with temperatures reaching into the 80s during July and August. Winters are generally mild with occasional snowfall.
The city’s history dates back to 1786 when it was founded by Charles Washington, George Washington’s brother. It was incorporated as a town in 1819 and became a city in 1901. It has long been an important transportation hub for the region due to its proximity to major roads and railways.
The economy of Charles Town is largely driven by tourism, retail, and government services. The area is home to Harpers Ferry National Historic Park, which attracts many visitors each year. Additionally, there are several wineries in Jefferson County that offer tours and tastings to visitors from around the world. There is also a thriving retail sector due to its proximity to both Washington D.C., Maryland, and Pennsylvania markets.
Education is another important part of life in Charles Town as it is home to several schools including Jefferson High School and Shepherd University which offers undergraduate programs as well as graduate degrees in various fields such as business administration and education leadership.
Finally, there are several landmarks that make Charles Town unique including the historic courthouse on George Street which was built in 1836; Stonewall Jackson’s Headquarters Museum which offers tours; historic buildings such as Harper’s Tavern; Old Opera House; The Old Firehouse Museum; The Old Jail Museum; Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races; and many more attractions that draw tourists from near and far alike!
Population: 2,907. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,704 (+27.4% change)
Males: 1,369 (47.1%), Females: 1,538 (52.9%)
Zip code: 25414
Median resident age: 38.7 years
Median household income: $32,538
Median house value: $114,500
Races in Charles Town:
- White Non-Hispanic (77.1%)
- Black (17.5%)
- Hispanic (2.5%)
- Two or more races (1.8%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
- Other race (0.6%)
- Chinese (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (15.2%), United States (15.0%), Irish (13.5%), English (8.6%), Italian (6.0%), Scotch-Irish (4.8%).
Elevation: 540 feet
Land area: 1.4 square miles
Charles Town, West Virginia is a small city of about 6,000 people. Located in Jefferson County, it is the county seat and home to many local businesses. The population is largely white, with a significant African American population as well. There are also small numbers of Latinos and Asians living in the area. The median household income is $32,000 and the median home value is $150,000. The cost of living in Charles Town is slightly lower than the US average, making it a great place to live for those on a budget. Housing costs are particularly affordable with rental prices averaging around $900 per month for a two-bedroom apartment. Property taxes are also relatively low compared to other areas in West Virginia. Utilities such as electricity and water are also very reasonable. Shopping opportunities abound in Charles Town with several large stores located within city limits including Walmart and Target as well as local grocery stores and farmers’ markets for fresh produce. Eating out can be done affordably at local restaurants such as My Place Bar & Grill or Italian Touch Pizza & Pasta House where you can get a meal for under $15 per person.
For population 25 years and over in Charles Town
- High school or higher: 72.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 24.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.4%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 31.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Charles Town city
- Never married: 27.2%
- Now married: 48.0%
- Separated: 2.6%
- Widowed: 8.5%
- Divorced: 13.7%
4.8% Foreign born (3.0% Asia, 1.5% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -323 (-10.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Charles Town:
- JEFFERSON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 2 miles; RANSON, WV)
- CITY HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; MARTINSBURG, WV)
- WINCHESTER MEDICAL CENTER INC (about 23 miles; WINCHESTER, VA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Charles Town:
- HAGERSTOWN REGIONAL-RICHARD A HENSON FLD (about 31 miles; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Abbreviation: HGR)
- WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL (about 38 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Abbreviation: IAD)
- RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL (about 65 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Abbreviation: DCA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Charles Town:
- EASTERN WV REGIONAL/SHEPHERD FLD (about 12 miles; MARTINSBURG, WV; Abbreviation: MRB)
- WINCHESTER REGIONAL (about 22 miles; WINCHESTER, VA; Abbreviation: OKV)
- LEESBURG EXECUTIVE (about 26 miles; LEESBURG, VA; Abbreviation: JYO)
Amtrak stations near Charles Town:
- 9 miles: HARPERS FERRY (POTOMAC ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, public transit connection.
- 15 miles: MARTINSBURG (229 E. MARTIN ST.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, paid short-term parking, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Charles Town:
- SHEPHERD COLLEGE (about 11 miles; Shepherdstown, WV; Full-time enrollment: 3,576)
- SHENANDOAH UNIVERSITY (about 23 miles; WINCHESTER, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,030)
- FREDERICK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 31 miles; FREDERICK, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,407)
- LORD FAIRFAX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 35 miles; MIDDLETOWN, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,064)
- GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY (about 48 miles; FAIRFAX, VA; Full-time enrollment: 16,564)
- MONTGOMERY COLLEGE (about 50 miles; ROCKVILLE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 11,829)
- NORTHERN VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 55 miles; ANNANDALE, VA; Full-time enrollment: 19,406)
Public primary/middle schools in Charles Town:
- CHARLES TOWN JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 851; Location: 817 HIGH ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- SOUTH JEFFERSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 414; Location: ROUTE 2, BOX 151-B; Grades: KG – 05)
- PAGE JACKSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 358; Location: RR 1 BOX 322M; Grades: KG – 02)
- WRIGHT DENNY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 354; Location: 209 WEST CONGRESS STREET; Grades: 03 – 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Charles Town:
- COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL (Students: 112; Location: PO BOX 659; Grades: KG – 8)
- CLAYMONT CHILDRENS SCHOOL (Students: 11; Location: ROUTE 1 BOX 279; Grades: KG – 6)